Friday, March 27, 2009

What was I thinking?!?!

Self-degradation – For Your Viewing Pleasure: Since one of my last blog entries was quite heavy and very unpleasant for many of you, I’ve decided to start this entry off on a lighter note.

Let me begin by saying that I wish I had never cut all of my hair off! Not only do I feel like my femininity was lost the day I cut off two ten-inch ponytails and more from my head, but it has been a source of great embarrassment for me in Niger because Nigerien women do not have short hair.

I cut my hair for two primary reasons: 1) I have always wanted to see what short hair would be like and I thought the timing was right since I would go through any awkward stages away from the people I generally want to look good for, and 2) I knew it was going to be hot in Niger and running water is scarce, so having all the hair I had before cutting it would have made things tough.

Needless to say, I am in the process of growing out my hair and I must admit that I am so glad I’m going through these ridiculous stages here in Niger rather than at home. So, for your viewing pleasure, comic relief, and my personal humiliation, here are the documented phases of hair growth in the seven months since I went all Britney Spears on myself one Sunday morning and completely buzzed my head:

Here's me on my birthday, two days after buzzing my head, looking like the poster child for fari masa. The quote in the picture reads as follows, "Life is like a fari masa. Sometimes it's delicious, and sometimes it makes you feel like shit."

Having fun with friends about three months after buzzing my head.

Rocking a faux-hawk about five months post buzzing.

First thing in the morning. Why I let anyone document this, I have no idea.

A nice profile shot.

At the end of a day of sweating and getting dirty. This is about seven months after shaving my head.

Again I ask, why do I document these things?!?!

Fresh outta bed...bright eyed and bushy tailed! Or should I say bushy headed?

After going to the pump to try and tame this rat's nest.

Alas, there is no taming that rat's nest. I feel pretty, oh so pretty!
8 Months and All I Have To Show For It Is…: Having been in Niger for eight months now, I have created quite the medical resume for myself. In the past eight months, I have contracted or experienced the following ailments:

1. Amoebas and Bacteria (twice)
2. A cold (too many times to count)
3. Ringworm (twice)
4. Unidentified rash on my neck (twice)
5. A period that lasted 30 days (yeah, you read that right 30 days)
6. Strep Throat
7. Food poisoning (really fun when your latrine is 30 yards from your front door)
8. Bacteria (twice)
9. Giardia and Amoebas
10. Yeast Infection
11. Heat Rash

***Numbers 2 – 6 were all contracted at the same time. October was a fun month!***

Ok, so maybe I have a lot more to show for my time here than this list of illnesses, but when I think about all of the ailments I have dealt with and come out stronger on the other side, I just want to pat myself on the back. I’m not the only volunteer in Niger who has been put through the ringer when it comes to getting sick, in fact my statistics are pretty much average. There are others who are always sick and I mean always. Yet another reminder that Niger is one of the three hardest posts in the Peace Corps…man, I am AWESOME!

“Sweat Until Your Clothes Come Off” – Hot As Sahel: Today is March 17, 2009 (that's the date I actually wrote this entry) and it is freakin’ HOT! As I write this entry, I am sitting in my house in nothing but a pair of soccer shorts and a sports bra, hoping that there aren’t any Nigeriens peaking into my house as this is highly culturally inappropriate. As a matter of fact, if I had it my way, I would be stark naked right now. Let me remind you that I am sitting and typing a blog entry, an activity that requires very little movement or physical exertion, and I am literally dripping sweat. Oh, and to top it all off, my fan petered out on me last night, so I have absolutely no respite from the heat.

THIS HEAT IS KILLING ME!

It’s about 5:20PM and the heat of the day has passed, but the thermometer in my house, which may or may not be all that reliable, reads 37°C or 100°F. I think it’s safe to assume that it was around 105°F at high noon today. Now, I know this doesn’t seem that hot to many of you, but consider two things: 1) I am from the San Francisco Bay Area where temperatures in the summer months tend to stay in the 80s, and 2) This is only the very beginning of hot season in Niger, which means that at the peak of the season, temperatures can reach upwards of 120°F. So, if it’s already this hot, I don’t even want to think about what the rest of this season has in store for me.

I’M MELTING!

I’ve become addicted to countdowns. I’m counting down the days until I can come home for a visit. I’m counting down the days until the World Cup. I’m counting down the days until the end of my service. And now, I am counting down the days until rainy season comes, which is roughly 100 days.

OH WOE IS ME!

Peace Corps Niger CRIBS: It doesn’t make any sense to me, but for some unfathomable reason, MTV wasn’t interested in doing a segment for MTV Cribs on my house here in Niger. I simply don’t understand how a plain, rectangular, cement structure with no indoor plumbing and a latrine in the yard doesn’t entice them.

Since MTV won’t do a segment on my humble abode, I have taken matters into my own hands and will now offer you an insider’s look into a Nigerien mansion.

Behold…
This is the view from just inside my front door.

To the immediate left of my front door. This is the kind of kitchen top chefs dream of!

Still looking to the left of my house toward the back. That's my bed. That's where dreams are made!

Looking to the right of my front door toward the back of my house. That's a guest bed, so go ahead and book your flights because you have a free place to sleep.

This is to the immediate right of my front door. This is the "sitting room." Looks luxurious doesn't it?!?!

A closer look at the "sitting room."

And, last but certainly not least, my bathroom. That's right people, that's all I got. Makes for a great bucket bath though!

2 comments:

Craftyk said...

OMG. I was on the floor laughing after this post. I miss you! For the record, your hair isn't that bad.The faux hawk is even kinda cute. But made me pee in my pants to read this!

mrs.csunsweetie said...

LOVE seeing the stages of your hair ;o)

And love the comic relief. It's like the old dre is back!